Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Sayonara Season

Today's the last day I'll be guaranteed internet access. Tomorrow, on the 20th, they throw the switch and plunge me back into the dark ages, where I'll wallow for a week before I return to the States. I'll make an effort to get to the internet cafe and check my mail every so often, but I'll be severely limited in my ability to write back. Last time I was in a netcafe, they had blocked Gmail entirely.

Last weekend was the Gion Matsuri, the biggest festival in the year in Kyoto. It was a big, three-day party that culminated in a parade Monday morning- which, despite torrential rain, was a heck of a thing to see. Ancient four-story tall floats ridden by flute-and-drum bands dragged by strangely cheery strongmen, maiko and geisha every three feet, music and rain and chaos... it was pretty cool. For fear of destroying my camera, I took no pictures, but a friend who was more intrepid than I managed to snag a few, and I'll put them up as soon as she sends them to me.

School is winding down. Tomorrow is closing ceremonies, where I am expected to make a speech. Today is just sad- everything is "Andrew-sensei's last whatever it is", from my last time teaching a 1st-grade class to "Well, last time you'll climb these stairs, isn't it?" The teachers and students seem to be bound and determined to make this as painful and saccharine as possible. Had a kid ask me yesterday how to say "zettai muri" in English- "Completely Impossible"- just so he could tell me, in my own language, that he wouldn't let me go home. "Andoryu-sensei home go completely impossible." I'm not sure how I'm going to "go impossible", but it was cute at the time.

This may or may not be my last post from Japan- I'm sure I'll get at least one from the airport, and one or two from the hotel in South Korea (not, in retrospect, the wisest vacation plan, given current geopolitics, but whatcha gonna do?), but if I don't...

It's been a heck of a ride. Thanks for coming along.

pax.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

last entry? oh noes! can you continue archiving a journal through WP, and post it later? i'm terribly interested in your journey's road till we meet one another face-to-face. but if that's zettai muri, then there's nothing much i can say. ^^;
oh well. best of wishes towards you and japan.
may the winds carry your leave, in a scent of foreigner, to which no cherry blossoms can hinder, and an experience not forgotten. ^__^"

PS - watchout for those farewell kancho ~__^

~jozi

Anonymous said...

I'm an incoming freshman who is very interested in studying abroad in Japan in a couple years. I just want to thank you for journaling your adventures. Because of you, I'm more excited to travel than before!