Monday, October 03, 2005

24 Hours OPEN

A weekend so good, I’m still recovering…

All of it, strangely, happened on what I consider Saturday. I’ve got this crazy idea in my head that a day doesn’t really end until I get a considerable amount of sleep- a “day” is always bookended by two nights.

On with the show.

Saturday, my coordinator and a friend of hers took me to Kyoto. It was amazing. I am left completely without words to describe the experience; I knew Kyoto was big, and I knew that my little forays into the city were severely limited by my hesitance to surrender myself to the bus/subway system, but I had no idea all the cool stuff that’s there. Due to my linguistic inadequacies, I’m going to lean rather heavily on the “picture is worth 1,000 words” cliché and just show you what I did- I ran the batteries out on my camera/phone (this becomes important later in our story) just grabbing shots of anything interesting… which is to say, I stopped every three feet like a tourist and pointed my camera in the general direction of all the cool stuff.

To begin: We rode the train in from Kusatsu to Kyoto Station, a megabehemoth whose only commonality with my little station in the countryside is the name. Here- have a look at the main hall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sparks,
I am really enjoying your blog. Thanks a bunch for giving me (and others) the chance to explore Japan through your eyes.
Keep up the blog and know others, like me are having a great time.
Regards, Marf, Dockett's aunt, the "Spook"

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm reliving my trip to Japan! It's funny how you are pretty much making such similar observations in almost identical context.

How long are you going to be over there? I might be visiting again in the Spring.

Also, if interested, I could hook you up with a familiar face out there. FreezeMoon always looks for an opportunity to meet up with other Red Planet pilots ;)

-PropWash