Monday, October 03, 2005


See this? See the starfish-looking thing on top of the mountain? In the fall, when the festival of Daimonji happens in Kyoto, they set that thing on fire. That�s not enough, though. They also set four other mountains on fire, in various Chinese characters. I love this country. The Fire God will be appeased.

Next, we walked about twenty minutes down the road to Ryoanji Temple. This is the temple that houses THE Zen Garden- the one with fifteen rocks, fourteen of which you can only ever see at once. It�s nothing but white sand, rocks, and some moss, but it�s easily one of the most impressive sights I saw that day. Do I have a picture?

Of course not. I actually thought about whipping out the camera while I was sitting on the porch of the temple looking at the garden, but something deep inside me said �Eight million people already took a picture of this thing. It�s easily found on the internet. Go take a picture of something else.� So I have for you a copper nailcover from Ryoanji Temple, and a picture of the confusing anteroom. Why is it confusing?

No comments: